Phoenix favorites the Iris recently had their gear trailer stolen after a gig in Albuquerque, NM. Unfortunately, this is an all too common occurrence these days, so here are some useful tips:
* Have a detailed list of all your gear. Include pictures, original purchase price, make, model, and serial numbers. Don’t keep the list inside the trailer.
* Look into equipment insurance. There are companies and policies that specialize in musicians, including musicians on tour. Think about how much it would cost to replace all of your equipment, compare that to the cost of an insurance policy. It might be worth your while.
* Park your trailer in the well-lit section of parking lots. Double check the locks. If possible, occasionally check on the trailer throughout the night.
* If your trailer does get stolen or broken into, contact the authorities and file a police report. Reach out locally, to news organizations, music stores, and pawn shops, asking them to be on the lookout for your gear.
* Use social media to let your fans know what’s going on, and ask them to keep an eye out for your gear. A lot of fans are connected to the music scene, and they might hear about someone trying to sell your stolen gear.